From Chennai to Everywhere else !!!!


My mom’s penchant for temples knows no bounds and it can be easily understood by the number of kilometers our cars have clocked so far; 32000 kms in the past one and a half year!!!! Coming the month of April, 2011 between the dates of 11th and 23rd we did a road trip from Chennai to the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. I have done quite a few drives so far but this has been my longest and most demanding one, mainly because I had to cover almost 7000 kms within 2 weeks time in largely unknown territories, bear the summer heat, visit all the places and more importantly manage with my limited knowledge of Hindi..!!!! This trip was even more adventurous because, till one week before our start, we did not know clearly where we were heading and which places to be visited. Usually, before any of our drives, me and my parents would sit around and discuss about the distance and places to be covered each day, plan for the night halt and would arrive at a fairly decent outline which we would try to follow. But it was not the case this time. I was in my hostel in Coimbatore till the last day and the day I arrived at Chennai, we had started for the drive and we were not even sure where we going to halt !!!! Most importantly, it was the help and guidance from H.V.Kumar sir, “Sachin Tendulkar of Indian Highways” which made the trip successful without any hiccups. I can never imagine the drive without his route plan, meticulously prepared and accurate to every km…!!!!!  Thanks a lot Sir..!!!
Day 0 ( April 10th):
For a trip that spanned 7000 kms and for 2 weeks, it did not start very well. I had taken my car to Coimbatore to vacate my hostel and bring all the stuffs back home as my MBA life at Amrita School of Business had got over. I had to drive all night to reach Chennai early morning on April 10th. As a result I did not get some good sleep. Then, my mom packed the luggage for the three of us for two weeks without keeping in mind that the vehicle in which she would be spending the time is not a generously spacious one like a Scorpio or an Innova, but a hatchback Ritz..!!! According to the original plan we had decided to start around evening by 4.30 from Chennai and reach Hosur to halt for the night. So, once we got ready and started loading our loyal Ritz with the really big size VIP hard bound suitcases which can be deemed fit only for an air travel, we found the Ritz falling ridiculously short in space. You cant blame the car, the blame was on us.
So I suggested we should change the suitcases to a more practical cloth bags which would fit fine inside the Ritz’s boot. By the time, we finished re-packing and loaded the Ritz, it was around 5.30 pm.
P4100064  
And hence we started by around 5.45 pm towards Sriperumbudur through Pallavaram to catch the NH to Bangalore. It was election time in TN and we found that Jayalalitha would be addressing a massive gathering in Pallavaram and there was a fairly decent traffic jam heading towards it. We managed to put it behind us and started cruising in the SH only to realise in horror that I had left my laptop back in the house. All the details about the route, places prepared by HVK Sir was inside it and the tour would never be possible without it. Cursing our luck, we decided to head back to pick it up and crucial time was lost. This time, when we started again at around 6.45 pm, we were caught in the thickest of traffic possible as Jayalalitha had started addressing the public. The clock was ticking but our wheels were not and we were stuck more than half an hour. I certainly did lose my cool and the mood to drive after all the obstacles from the start.  I suggested we should return home, retire for the night and start afresh the next day as going ahead with the drive seemed no more logical as it would be very late by the time we reach Hosur. My father was visibly agitated by the idea and the held ups and delays in everything we did today did not make him feel good. So we returned back to our home, visited the nearby Lord Ganesh temple, prayed for a trouble free journey, had our dinner in a nearby restaurant and retired for the night with the idea that we should start very early the next day, by 1 am !!!!!
Day 1 (April 11th, 2011):
We were already behind schedule even before we had even started and had to make some serious distance before catching up. After a decent amount of sleep, we started the drive really early morning by 1 am on Monday. I never thought about where should I stop for the day but just wanted to cover as much distance as possible. Took the NH 4 towards Bangalore and I was able to maintain some seriously good speeds as the traffic in the NH was sparse. But, as always, the odd pedestrian or an auto can take you by surprise and hence nothing can be taken for granted. By 2.30 am, my dad started grumbling about having a coffee and lucky was he, as we spotted a tea shop open along the highway near Vellore. Thats Tamil Nadu for you..!!!! After energising ourselves with double coffees, we continued the drive. The drive was mostly uneventful, except for the large amount of Omni Bus traffic early morning towards Bangalore and that stole my speed a bit, but by 6 am I was cruising on the NH towards Tumkur after taking the exceptionally expensive but well laid NICE Road. Reached Chitradurga by 9, filled the tank with diesel , filled our stomach with breakfast from Hotel Naveen Residency and started moving again.
P4110071
The NH after Chitradurga was incomplete in very short stretches and I still cant figure out what speedbreakers were doing in a NH as I found myself taking one at more than 120 kmph !!!! Kudos to Ritz’s suspension for making it clean!!! The stretch between Hubli and Belgaum was a normal 2-laned one and after that it was 4-laned again. Watch out for KSRTC buses especially in that stretch as they may exhibit road behaviour which doesnt acknowledge your presence on the road. Stopped at Hotel Sangam @ Belgaum for lunch as per HVK Sir’s plan. Called him to update our location and he suggested I should stop at Mumbai for the night. I had already done 800 kms for the day and I still had 600 kms more !!!!
Undeterred, we moved on again, and once we entered Maharashtra, the traffic and its indiscipline increased. The good roads helped me maintain my speed and I was able to reach Pune by 6.30 pm. It started raining in Pune and the road towards the Mumbai Expressway was tottering with traffic. Finally I was able to catch the Expressway and it was almost a nightmare. I had already done the expressway during my drive to Mumbai last year but this time it was even worse. Nobody cared for the rules. It is not that vehicles follow rules in rest of the NHs in India but with the level of speeds that this expressway lets you to take, it can get quite dangerous. The Audis , the BMWs race against each other and are forced to zig zag through the slow moving lorries and trucks which never stick to their lanes and seem to be in a world of their own.
P4110079Finally reached the other end of the Expressway around 8.30 pm to enter Navi Mumbai and my cousin's house was still some 30 kms and 2 hours of drive through Mumbai traffic away, in Guregaon !!!! I stopped at each signal and each landmark to stop the car and get directions from my cousin and it was a tortorous one and a half drive in Mumbai traffic which was aggregated by my near exhaustion. Finally, we reached his place only to find that the lift did not work and that we have to climb six stories !!!!
It was very welcoming to see him and his family waiting for us. Atlast, we could rest our bodies to get some really deserving sleep. I was very satisfied by the drive and I simply could not believe I had done a non-stop Chennai-Mumbai in 21 hours..!!!!! As I closed my eyes, I was yet to realise that this was only a starter and full meals was waiting in the days to come !!!!
(to be continued….)

Comments

H V Kumar said…
Cracker of a drive on Day 1 - nearly 1,500 kms non-stop from Madras to Bombay!
Thanks a lot sir.!!!! If u hadnt told me to stop at Mumbai that day, we would have stopped way ahead near Satara..!!!!
H V Kumar said…
Your perseverance on Day 1 paid off and you cleared off the arrears of the delayed start!
Unknown said…
Wow! what a drive. You should be lucky to have such a parents..accompanying with enthusiastic on such a long drives.



The same lines I told to HVK, when he encouraged me to cover it in one day. The best day ever for me when I did that :)

Thanks to HVK forum to get me this blog
Ram said…
Thats a grueling drive - kudos to you for the non-halt drive! BTW you climbed 7 stories - not six!
narayanan said…
Read the first part in gearheads !! Thats an incredible drive my friend. That was one hell of a 1st day drive :) Waiting for the next installment !!

1.5 yrs and 32k done and youve still not torn off the plastic covers off the seats ?
@HVK Sir: yeah...but not without getting some serious scoldings from you..!!!
@Naga: Thanks a lot Naga.Its my parents who love roaming around in the car!
Driving inside my state is one thing. Driving across India is very different. I wouldnt have even imagined about these drives if I hadnt known HVK Sir. A heartful thanks to my cousin for introducing me to him..!!!
@Sriram Anna: Thanks na. The feel when I entered into your flat that night was unforgettable!! Though it may seem paltry to some, doing a non stop Chennai-Mumbai was something I never ever dreamt off.!!!
@Narayanan: Thanks a lot !!!This Ritz was almost brand new before we took off for this drive.
We had a petrol Ritz before this in which we had done 23k kms in just a year.
Taruun said…
Ha ha, I was witness to all those scoldings!!
Anitha said…
Shankara.....its a nice blog...way you explained...i really felt that i was in the car...good job ;)))
@Tarun: How come???

@Anitha: Thanks akka..:)
Parag said…
Shankara, I loved the way you've narrated the blog and like many others, I was visualizing the drive, specially the one between Bangalore and Mumbai (which I have been regulary doing).During my Bangalore-Rajkot drive, I had the chance to meet up with HVK for the first time and it was a pleasure. I had captured videos of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad stretch and when I showed it to my father, he insisted that just we both drive to Gujarat and hence we are planning another drive few months later. Trust me, It is rare to have such parents.
@Parag: Yaa it is great to hv such parents. All the more, when they get to sponsor our drives..!!!!
Subramanian said…
dae machi.. awesome da.. the way in which you narrated the stuffs was fantastic. i actually picturized everything how it would be.. As i went through the narration i felt i am in that particular spot .. really nice da
expecting your further narration shortly
Please continue
narayanan said…
Bade boy !! :) its easier to do a 7K km ride than write about it. Hehe

Popular posts from this blog

Demystifying Ooty!!!!!!

Demistifying Ooty...(day 2)